Saturday, March 21, 2015

Jammie Dodgers Recipe from Kaye's Cupboard

I have a very special "treat" for your all today! Kayla, from Kaye's Cupboard, is guest posting today a yummy, nerdy recipe that is perfect to go along with the new Timey-Wimey TARDIS Pinafore! I'm super excited, because Kayla just happens to be my awesome sister-in-law, she is a Doctor Who fan too, and her recipe just look delicious! I won't give away any "spoilers" though, so I'll now turn it over to Kayla!

Hello everyone! I'm Kayla from Kaye's Cupboard. I love to find and try out new foods, and I enjoy sharing delicious recipes with friends and family! I started my blog as a way to keep track of my family's most favorite dishes, focusing mainly on simple, fairly easy crowd-pleasers.
I have been so excited about this collaboration with my amazing sister-in-law!! Her enthusiasm about Doctor Who is a big reason why I started watching at all, and I'm very glad I did! 


Eleven once told the Daleks a Jammie Dodger was a self-destruct button. It didn't fool them for a minute, but that didn't stop him from enjoying the cookie anyway! I've heard of British "biscuits," but never actually tried any. This is an excellent place to start, it seems! 




Very similar to shortbread cookies, but without any of the dry, crumbly texture, these cookies are lighter and flakier with a slight buttery taste. These beauties can be filled with whatever jam your heart desires. We preferred strawberry over grape, but we will definitely try others! I think blackberry would be delicious! With a sprinkling of sugar on both halves of the cookie, the overall combination of textures and flavors is perfect!


Simplicity is such a great thing in this case, because it allows you to truly enjoy each component. It's making my mouth water, just thinking about it! My husband I both had the same idea- we want to make this cookie part of a holiday so that we have a reason to make it at least once a year...although I suspect we will make it much more often than that, especially since they are simple to make, and we always have the few ingredients they need!

  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1  1/8 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 3 cup flour
  • sugar, for sprinkling
  • 1  1/2 cups jam
1. Combine butter and powdered sugar in a large bowl until fluffy. Add vanilla and egg yolk and mix with a wooden spoon. Mix in flour, then form dough in to a smooth ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.

2. Preheat oven to 375. Spray baking sheets with cooking spray. Place dough on a lightly floured surface, and roll to 3mm thickness. Cut out an even number of large circles with a cookie cutter. Use a small cookie cutter to cut out the center of half of the cookies.

3. Place them on the baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until they are a pale golden color. Be careful not to over-bake. Transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling, and sprinkle with sugar while still warm. Once they are completely cool, turn cookies with no cut-out upside down, spread about a teaspoon of jam on them, then top with cookie that has a cut-out. Cookies can be stored in an air-tight container.


{Kudos to jamieoliver.com!}

2 comments:

  1. Great recipe, though I am truly enchanted by the water color paintings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were a birthday present from my sister-in-law (we have one of Ten also!). She will be setting up an etsy store soon, and I will let you know when she does! :)

      Delete